Friday, February 7, 2014

Favourite things

The snowdrop is my all time favourite flower.  I say this with a slight tinge of guilt because I would have liked my favourite flower to be a native.  England has so many glorious native flowers which often get overlooked in favour of their more showy garden competitors.  But the snowdrop has something special.  When the darkness of winter is begining to get you down and the pleasure of a warm sunny day seems such a distant memory, the little snowdrop emerges coyly from the soil, instantly lifting the spirits.  It has a simplicity, a delicacy and a purity that surpasses any other plant I know. 

The snowdrops in our garden are beginning to swell and open, and this afternoon I captured them bobbing their heads in the breeze under a welcome ray of sunshine.  The helebores too are begining to bloom, reminding us that despite all this gloomy weather, Spring is only just around the corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment